Reformation Church History



1930's

  • October, 11, 1931 Congregation Organized - 24 charter members
  • 1931 The Rev. Carl Miller (who also served Atonement Lutheran, Asbury Park) was the first Pastor. There were 31 communing members. The yearly budget was $694.
  • 1933 - The first Confirmation service for 7 young people.

1940's

  • 1940 - The congregation moved to the American Legion Hall.
  • 1945 - The present church site was purchased.
  • 1946 - Pastor Paul Alberti was called to Reformation. The congregation moved to the YMCA Hall.
  • December 19, 1948 - the Chapel (present day Fellowship Hall) was dedicated. The membership stood at 63 communing members.

1950's

  • 1950 - Pastor Charles Gartner was called to Reformation. An organ was purchased.
  • 1951 - Pastor Fred Bartelt called to Reformation.
  • 1954 - The home next to the Chapel was purchased and transformed into a parish hall.
  • 1958 - Pastor Robert Oswald was called to Reformation. The communing membership stood at 202 with 203 children in the SCS

1960's

  • Jan 27, 1963 - Dedication of the new sanctuary and Sunday Church School wing.
  • 1966 - Parsonage sold and a housing allowance established.
  • 1968 - Purchased additional property on Broadway.
  • 1969 - 805 Baptized members, 208 in Sunday Church School

1970's

  • 1970 - Pastor Robert Linders called to Reformation.
  • 1974 - Improvement to parking lot and grounds.
  • 1976 - 2 offices added.
  • 1978 - Pastor Alfred Acer called
  • 1979 - 653 Baptized members, 117 pupils in Sunday School

1980's

  • 1981 - Reformation's 50th anniversary and the burning of the mortgage. First Word and Witness class began. New organ installed funded by congregational bonds
  • 1983 - First Word and Witness class graduated
  • 1985 - Pastor Richard Tupy accepts the position of Pastoral Assistant. A new roof is installed.
  • 1986 - Stained glass is installed in the side windows of the sanctuary.
  • 1987 - The first concert of the John Fabrici Memorial Concert Series is held.
  • 1988 - The Endowment Fund begun. New heating system installed funded by a loan
  • 1989 - 841 Baptized members, 93 pupils in Sunday School

1990's

  • 1991 - Anna Beaty honored for serving as SCS Superintendent for 50 years.
  • 1992 - Pastor Penelope Stechmann joins the Pastoral staff as part time Pastoral Assistant while serving as part time Chaplain at Monmouth Medical Center. The first Saturday Eucharist is held. Pastor Tupy steps down.
  • 1994 - The new indebtedness is retired.
  • 1996 - Iglesia de Dios "nests" at Reformation.
  • 1997 - Mike Hamrick, Dave Matthews and Peggy White became our first Diakonia graduates, hence deacons in the congregation.
  • 1999 - 983 Baptized members

2000's

  • 2002 - Dedication of addition to the sanctuary.
  • 2004 - Dedication of the East Wing.
  • 2005 - Dedication of the New Food Pantry.
  • 2006 - Year long celebration of the 75th anniversary of Reformation
  • 2008 - 1090 Baptized members, 85 children in Sunday School
  • 2008 - Pastor Alfred C. Acer passed away - served as Pastor from 1978 - 6/13/2008
  • 2009 - Pastor James McKinley is assigned as the Interim Senior Pastor with Pastor Richard Tupy Jr. assisting.
  • 2010 - Pastor Matthew Cimorelli called to Reformation as Senior Pastor
©2018 Lutheran Church of the Reformation
Created and Edited by Bob Appleton